Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wasting Time and Money to "Enhance Learning"

I have nothing against Apple, Inc., believe me. But for a university to require students to purchase an iPhone or iTouch seems to be just another way that institutions of higher education are endorsing and forming partnerships with major corporations in a way that can affect student learning (e.g., Dell furnishing computer labs, Barnes & Noble running the bookstores). But it also suggests another way to bar access to education to those who come from lower-income families: those little items happen to cost a pretty penny, which not everyone who attends a university can necessarily afford after tuition, fees, room and board, textbooks, and basic living expenses. Also, why is the University of Missouri likely spending money and energy to have students install a program/application on such equipment? Also, why is the School of Journalism encouraging students to simply record lectures--making this format of teaching even more passive--rather than facilitating good notetaking habits, such as one might expect a journalist-in-training should learn and practice? I mean, recording an interview is certainly a norm, but recording professors' lectures? This smacks of laziness and gives students the idea that they don't really need to pay attention in class. One also wonders about the notion of academic integrity: what if students were to record and then sell their instructors' lectures to other students or other interested parties? I'm not assuming there's even an audience for this kind of thing, but given that some students have had the gall to keep in order to sell their exams, essays, etc., isn't the lecture-recording issue a problem of intellectual property as well? I would guess the professors at the University of Missouri subscribe to some principle that their students are welcome to record their lectures, but I know of quite a few faculty who might be rather uncomfortable with such an arrangement--for all the reasons I've mentioned and more.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a complete business when a university requires students to purchase an expensive iPod for class. Duke even gave free iPods to its entering class back in 2004 (http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2004/08/64768). Sure, a free iPod is a nice thing to have, but the funding for these iPods could have been better spent in something educational, which is after all the main purpose of the university. Even if recording a lecture is required there are plenty of inexpensive simple audio recorders that don’t require a bitten apple on its front to record audio.

    I have recorded lectures in only one of my classes but only in addition to taking notes. I do think it can be useful depending on the specific class: the student was not able to write something important, detailed expansion based on the notes, and detailed tips the professor said in class. These recordings helped me specifically by telling me specifically, with the professor’s own words rather than my summarized notes, what the professor wanted from the assignment. It is sometimes the case that a student may do a brilliant assignment but it wasn’t exactly what the professor assigned. When I did this I had no intention of selling or even freely distributing the lectures, but I did erroneously not ask permission to the professor if I could record these lectures. I think some professors would be somewhat intimidated that their thoughts are distributed in the internet. I know I’d be somewhat intimidated if someone recorded seminar class where student input is central to the class.

    On another note several universities are using Open Course Ware, which is basically a website where the general population can find notes, video recordings, and even exams from university for free. These websites are university sponsored so many of the courses are somewhat tailored for OCW. I just think that it’s a great way to spread knowledge for free but shouldn’t be used as a substitute for a class but as a supplement for a class or just for expanding knowledge.
    Here is the link to Yale’s OCW http://oyc.yale.edu/

    ReplyDelete